Sunday, September 30, 2012

1st NU Football Game

Matthew has joined a family of Northwestern football fans.
 
Let me stop my wife right there.  First of all, Matthew did not "join" our family.  A feral cat joins a herd.  A baby is borne into a family.  And pump the breaks on the "family of Northwestern football fans" thing.  Grandpa John is a Northwestern football fan.  The rest of us barely qualify as well-wishers.  Given the decades of debt I am staring at because of that school, I need the football team's support a whole lot more than they need mine.  I can name exactly one player on the Northwestern football team.  That's one more than E can name.  Compare this to the fact that I can tell you the hometowns of every player on the IU basketball roster.  E can at least rattle off the starting five.  Matthew was borne into a family of IU basketball fans.  He halfheartedly watches the Fighting Meineke Car Care Bowl Participants every Saturday with Grandpa John.  Back to E...
 
Thus far, the Wildcats are 5-0. 
 
They have played five teams with a combined record of 6-14 yet were at serious risk of losing late in the fourth quarter of four of those games.
 
These pictures and video are from the first game of the season, which was against Syracuse.
 
Syracuse has not had a relevent football team since 1998.  They scored 41 points against Northwestern.
 
Of course, Matthew wore his new jersey!
 
And he loved it, just like I did when my mom dressed me for synagogue each Saturday.
 

"I can't wait for basketball season"
 
Matthew and Papa (the biggest NU sports fan in history)
The key to this video is that Matthew is all business, but Titus is really the one to watch!  He wanted nothing to do with being in the jumperoo but wanted everything to do with joining in the fun WITH Matthew:

 
I must say, I am very encouraged by the laser focus Matthew showed on the football game even in the midst of all the excitement and laughter going on around him.  That bodes well for when he is boldly leading Deerfield High to victory.


No comments:

Post a Comment