Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Moving and Nutrition

So we moved to our new place on Friday.  This was after a week of packing.  Once we got to the new place, we didn't have the Internet until, well, tomorrow.  I am sitting in Starbucks right now while E works.  Hence, the lack of blog posts.  I am sure all eight of our followers have been waiting breathlessly for our triumphant return to the blogosphere.

We also have a WBU for Week 25.  It is sitting in our camera.  We have no idea where the cord is to upload the image.  So you will need to imagine what she looks like right now.  I'll give you a clue: not smaller.

All jokes aside, the world should know how proud I am of the carrier of my child.  She is rocking out for Matthew.  I'm not sure you could have someone who eats a more balanced diet while pregnant and is more committed to providing the product of my loins with the nutrients necessary to develop a brain that is capable of an ACT score only slightly lower than mine and an arm that is capable of blowing 98 on the black*.

*"Blowing 98" refers to throwing a 98-mph fastball.  "On the black" refers to throwing strikes on the edge of the strike zone.  Pitches in such a location are more difficult to hit.  The things I do for a blog that is read almost entirely by women.

Anyway, E really is amazing with the diet thing.  It would be very easy for her to forget her vitamins, and not just because the pregnancy has left her bankrupt of anything resembling short or long term memory.  It would also be very easy for her to deal with the stress of building a business, having an income-less husband with a bizarre school schedule, living in a dungeon**

**More on this later.

and being pregnant by retreating to the warmth and comfort of foods that are exclusively starch and/or cream based.  Similarly, it would be very easy for her to deal with the discomfort and insecurity that comes with having a rapidly growing body and a jackass husband who makes fun of it on the Interwebs by actively trying to eat less.  But she hasn't done any of this.  Rather, she has done pretty much everything she is supposed to do, despite the fact that many of the recommendations border on impossible to actually follow through on***.

***Only eat fast food once a trimester?  Get serious, American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.  Idiots.

So yeah, she's been awesome.  Well-balanced diet, staying hydrated, eating when she's hungry, vitamins everyday, not inhaling paint thinner.  I believe that if Matthew were capable of such things, he would feel quite proud and appreciative of his mama right now.

Back to moving.  We now inhabit a delightful three bed/two bath ranch with a big kitchen, two family rooms and a dining area.  It is also free of mice, does not have a furnace two inches from a toilet, does not require a family of two to leave 70% of their possessions in someone else's basement, is not in a building that smells like a Phish concert and is not directly below a woman who apparently is convinced that if she does not continuously run to and fro in wooden shoes while blaring Bad Romance on repeat****,

****I was actually fine with the music.

only interrupting her workout to nail pictures into her kitchen floor, all 20 of her cats will die*****.

*****I don't think she actually has cats, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Given that our apartment of the last year could not make any of these claims, we are quite happy with our new abode.  You know your apartment sucks when you leave with a month left on the lease and you say it is the worst living arrangement you have ever endured after spending the immediately preceding year LIVING WITH YOUR IN-LAWS FOR THE SECOND TIME SINCE GRADUATING COLLEGE******.

******It should be noted that for 8 of the combined 19 months I have lived with E's parents, she wasn't even living there herself.  She was either in Atlanta going to grad school or still in Milwaukee working.  I'm not sure whether I should right now be sending her parents a sincere thank you for all of their hospitality or an even more sincere apology for being such a poor provider for their only daughter.

I can only imagine how excited we will be once we actually have everything unpacked.  It's incredible how much crap we have accrued over the past ten years.  I say ten years, and not just the almost six years we've been married, because we still have a lot of junk from undergrad.  We are now trying to plow through all the stuff and throw away what we don't need.  I am struggling with this concept, because my wife and I have wildly differing views on the term "need."  I think this is because I have a deep appreciation for sentimentality and realize that 50 years from now, it will be fun to see all the little things that made up the story of our lives.  I also believe it will be exciting for Matthew to see some of the historical artifacts I have collected*******.

*******Including over 50 old newspapers of historical occurrences, such as the 49ers winning the Super Bowl in 1995,  President Obama being elected in 2008, and last Thursday.

E thinks it is because I can't let go of anything.   Or, as my buddy John eloquently stated as he helped me move a bunch of boxes into the new house, "You're a [synonym for fornicating] hoarder, dude."

I stand firm at "I'm right."

2 comments:

  1. *******What Mike failed to mention is that he also wanted to keep a folded up Guns N' Roses poster from 2001 and my Delta Gamma paddle. No, Mike, these things we get rid of. And John was right, if it weren't for me, we'd have 17 trailers full of crap in our back yard. Thank you Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, thanks for the baseball explanation -- that would have totally gone over my head without it. Liz - I can totally see getting rid of the guns n' roses poster, but I still can't bring myself to throw out my KD paddle :)

    Can't wait to see the new place!

    ReplyDelete