Monday, July 11, 2011

TMI (Too Much Information, to Translate for My Parents)

So as Mike alluded to, we attended two lovely weddings this weekend.  At one friend's wedding, there was a sweets table.  At midnight, when leaving the wedding, a couple about our parents age was also leaving.  The man had his hand in the large glass cylinder containing strawberry flavored marshmallows.  His wife made a joke about how there was no utensil to take the marshmallows out, which made her wonder about the kids' hands that may have been in there, perhaps ones that were not so clean.

I then proceeded to agree with her by telling her that on one Sunday when Mike and I were teaching 1st and 2nd graders at church, we were not surprised, yet still uncomfortable, by the fact that a girl was scratching her bottom beneath her underwear.  And when we said it was snack time and really made a point of requiring hand washing (because of her!) it was funny to us that she was the one girl that said her hands were clean and that she didn't need to.  I laughed and said that of course we insisted that she wash her hands.  The woman then uncomfortably laughed and when her husband asked her what were talking about, she said "I'll tell you another time."  Hmmmm, what began as me innocently trying to relate to someone ended with me all too aware that, "Oops, I've shared WAY too much information...with a complete stranger."

No comments:

Post a Comment