Sunday, October 14, 2012

#2 On Its Way

This post is actually from August 5, 2012, just posting now that we are 14 weeks along.

On Monday, July 30th, I took a pregnancy test after having thrown up all night.  It came back negative.  One week later, at 6:30am, I took another test.  Mike and I have always taken the test together [NOTE FROM MIKE: This is not true.  While E and I have always looked at the results together, we have never taken a test together.  That would be weird and a complete waste of money.], but it was early on a weekend and the morning is the best time to take it due to hormone levels being at their highest.  While of course there was a chance that I was pregnant, I kind of assumed it would be negative.  So I put the test down and thought, "I'll just leave it here until we both wake up later today."  Um, there was no time for that.  When you are pregnant, that test gives you the answer real quick! [NOTE FROM MIKE: It's nice of the test to just get it over with and put the teenagers whose poor decision-making just eliminated the excitement of going away for college out of their misery.  I have found it is always better to just confirm the bad news.  Wondering sucks.]  I hadn't given much thought to what I would do if it were positive and was so shocked that I went to the bedroom (actually the guest room cause we slept there for a fun adventure--that's what you do for fun when you have a baby [NOTE FROM MIKE: I find it alarming that, in a post detailing the realization that we are pregnant again, E says the thing we do for fun is sleep in a room with a TV]) and said "Mike, I have to show you something," trying to make him think I had a rash or something, but I couldn't control myself and shoved the test in his face before his glasses were even on! [NOTE FROM MIKE: What kind of rash did she hope I was thinking it was?  "Look, Mike!  I have staph!  Haha, just kidding, but seriously, you may need to pick up a second job.  I don't want Matthew's sib dressing like a hobo."]

Getting pregnant the second time was quite different than the first, for us.  There was much less anxiety or presumptions about being pregnant.  [NOTE FROM MIKE: This is generally what happens when you aren't trying to get pregnant.  You aren't quite as worried it won't happen.  Of course, let the record show we weren't exactly not trying, either.]  Nonetheless, two things were quite similar.  We felt infinitely blessed and then thought, "Oh my gosh, what are we going to do?!?!" [NOTE FROM MIKE: True story.]

We think the due date will be April 7, 2013.  The kids will be 18 months apart and one year difference in school, which is something we wanted for our kids.  [NOTE FROM MIKE: If #2 is a boy, it will be fun for them to play sports together.  Or stand on the sidelines together.  If #2 is a girl, it will be awkward and upsetting for each of them to watch each other date the other's friends.  Which will be funny for E and I.  Either way, win-win.]

No comments:

Post a Comment