Tuesday, September 27, 2011

1 Down, 9 to Go

Warning: If you do not want to read about my cervix then you'll want to skip this one.

Doc: "This was a good first exam."

I am 1cm dilated, my cervix has softened and I am at a -1 to -2 as far as effacement (baby dropping) is concerned. What does all this mean? While there is no way to predict when Matthew will make an appearance, the exam shows that my body is progressing towards delivery really well. The doctor said that many women are not even dilated come their due date, so being that I am already dilated we can have confidence that Matthew will probably arrive by his due date (2 1/2 weeks!), rather than late or via an induction which would occur if we went 2 weeks past our due date. Effacement indicates where the head of the baby is; baby starts at -5 and will move to +5 when it's time for him to be pushed out!

We are incredibly grateful that things are progressing as they are and trying our best to contain our excitement!

1 comment:

  1. Hooray! That's so exciting! Just hold out past this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete