Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Hello Unknown, Sometimes I Strongly Dislike You. Thought You Had the Right to Know.

I went to the OBGYN on Monday and found out I was 1cm dilated.  If you are keeping track, this actually means I un-dilated by a half centimeter.  This sounds too familiar (Matthew reascended after being engaged).  In truth, my doctor said "it's probably the same exam."  Nothing like hearing that there is no progress being made, especially when you have a strong desire to not be induced.  However, I went to playgroup on Tuesday and someone told me their sister-in-law sat at 6cm dilated for 2 weeks!  So, to conclude with what is already known to be, it doesn't matter how dilated you are--you will go into labor when you go into labor.  These exams are simply meant to be a reference for if I go to the hospital thinking I am in labor.

Back to Monday's exam.  My doctor brought up induction for the second time, asking if I was feeling the need/desire to get labor started.  On the one hand, I appreciate the offer given how I was just getting over my 4th episode of vomitus.  However, because I strongly believe in and desire a natural labor and delivery, this discussion of induction has created a large amount of (unnecessary) anxiety.  While I know that what will be is what will be it has been hard to lean into that and to let go of my worries.

And in the meantime, I am just treasuring every last day that it's just me and Matthew.  Today, like most shopping trips to Target, Matthew requested a long and wonderful hug from me multiple times.  Nothin' better.

No comments:

Post a Comment