Sunday, November 25, 2012

Trip to NY

Last weekend, we went to NY to visit with my family.  A swell time was had by one and all.  My dad, brother and I went to a football game at West Point; I have wanted to do so for years but never had the chance.  It is a truly amazing experience, right up until the point they start playing football, at which point it is a less enjoyable experience.  It is a bit surreal to watch individuals get beaten to a proverbial pulp on the gridiron when, if challenged by the same opponents to a game of, say, paintball or hand-to-hand combat, would beat them to a literal pulp.  While we watched the great historic football power that is Temple University thoroughly disrespect the kids who will keep them free, my mom and E had girl time with my mom's friends.  Matthew served as the conversation piece.
Family Dinner at Hudson's
On Sunday night, E and I ventured to Manhattan to stay with our friends, Billy and Hillary.  It was at Billy's and Hillary's apartment that Matthew spent some quality time with Boy's Best Friend, Fergie, a Chocolate Lab.  They had a fantastic 18 hours of playing throw, catch and repeatedly bull-rush Matthew into the door frame.  Matthew has the heart of a lion, seeks thrills like a daredevil and apparently was born with alarmingly dull nerve endings, so he was happier than a pig in plop.

At 2:00 on Monday, I sent the wife and kid home.  To Glenview.  There was basketball to be watched.  Billy and I headed to Brooklyn to see Indiana play Georgia.  In spite of shooting terribly for a half, we obviously won.  Take that, Uncle Mark and all other Georgia alums.



On Tuesday, Billy and I grabbed breakfast at a greasy spoon (CORNED BEEF HASH NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM), visited many historical sites in NYC I've been wanting to see for years (see below), went to Shake Shack for lunch (AS AWESOME AS IT SOUNDS NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM), The Strip House for dinner (a dignified nom nom nom nom nom for the restaurant that is rated one of the best steakhouses in the city), and then another IU basketball game, where we beat Georgetown in overtime.  Let the record show that during my time in NYC, I also bought a hot dog off a street vendor, ate two slices of pizza from holes in the wall, and had a falafel and hummus sandwich from an Israeli restaurant.  That said, I did not get a potato knish from a street vendor and I will never forgive myself.

Central Park

The Dakota.  John Lennon was shot behind those gates.

John Lennon Memorial in Central Park

9/11 Firefighters' Memorial

New World Trade Center

9/11 World Trade Center Memorial - Truly incredible; monumental yet understated

Occupy Wall Street. I mean, the New York Stock Exchange.

For those inquiring, I did not wear my candy stripe pants to the games.  I have been told by a number of people that I am 31.  I've also been reminded when I wear my hat backwards that I am 31.  I fail to see the connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment